Mangapapa Church Centenary - Over two weekends in April 2013, we celebrated and looked forward!
The first Church Service was held on this site on Sunday 13 April 1913. The pictures show the original building that remarkably was constructed in just 1 day, and the next day that first Service was held in it! The original building still makes up the central part of our auditorium today.
1) Saturday/Sunday 13/14 April ‘The Anniversary Weekend’– Guest Preacher, was Rev Niven Ball (Minister in the1980's).
- Saturday 13 April - Several events marked the Saturday 'Anniversary' of the first Worship Service, including a Centenary Rock and plaque unveiled... A 1913 Afternoon 'High Tea' with the Centenary Cake cut by the eldest and youngest members... A Centenary Mosaic created... A display of the Church through the years... and the Anniversary Dinner.
- Sunday 14 April - Anniversary Thanksgiving Service & Luncheon... An Evening Prayer Service, closing the 100years, and looking forward...
2) Saturday/Sunday 20/21 April - ‘The Looking Forward Weekend', Children & Youth Focus – Special Guest Speaker Ian Grant.
- Saturday 20 April - ‘Fathers Who Dare Win’ Free Community ‘Parents & Grandparents Breakfast’ with Ian Grant. Close to 300 people attended, at The A&P Showgrounds Events Centre.
- Sunday 21 April - Ian preached at a packed Mangapapa Church on the Sunday morning and again at a 'Team Gisborne Combined Churches Service' on the Sunday evening, held at House Of Breakthrough with around 400 attending.